A deep thought experiment
is one in which the practitioner puts themselves into a very
deep trance to solve difficult problems.
The advantage of using this over conventional analysis techniques, is that the deepened state of mind allows access to the powers of the subconscious and the unconscious minds where the seat and foundation of our intelligence lies. In this article, i want to discuss a few tips you can utilise to form deep thought experiments of your own:
1. Only use a thought experiment for a difficult problem.
DTE would be overkill for a problem that just needs you to look at it carefully and logically. It is an advanced technique which should be used in times where a problem needs a very careful look at, such as an intellectual or academic problem.
2. Make sure you are in a quiet place in which you will not be disturbed.
This is perhaps a no brainer, but you would be surprised by the number of people who try to gain insight in the most ridiculous of places (shopping malls, buses, trains etc). Just because you have 2-3 hours to kill on a journey, doesn't mean it is a quiet place. A quiet place in one in which there are no other people around, and you cannot be contacted easily to be disturbed.
3. To begin the DTE, close your eyes and relax your body. Deep breaths can help.
This will begin the process of lowering your brainwave frequencies and accessing deeper states for change. The deeper states not only exist within your mind, but also outside of it. For example, you will be able to access the thoughts of people who are connected with your frequency, no matter where they are in the world.
4. When a sufficiently deep state has been entered into, you want to imagine your problem or situation in as clear a way as possible.
The value of this is that you are allowing your brain to grasp the object of your problem so that it can add its insight to it. You should do this in a frame of complete open mindedness and receptivity to whatever suggestion your mind comes back with. Even if the mind comes back with something non-sensical, it is always a sign of a step you will have to take. You will need to pay attention and use these subconscious signs to help solve your problem.
5. Continue your frame of receptivity whilst in the trance, and whilst imagining the image of the problem.
Continue this until you gain some insight. If it is a particularly difficult problem, i wouldn't bank on gaining a full solution straight away. Instead, multiple sessions over a period of months or years will have to be initiated.
What To Expect
The above is the very basic structure of how to formulate a thought experiment. It requires little skill to perform, but to gain the correct and meaningful insight requires enormous practice and skill. The technique is also not to be confused with visualisation, which is a related but separate area. The emphasis here is to solve a problem, whereas in visualisation it is to imagine your goal. In terms of what to expect from DTE:
1. A deeper understanding of the nature of your problem.
2. Genuine insight into the main solutions on offer.
3. A greater ability to enter a deep trance with ease.
4. A greater ability to suspend attachment to the outcome of our problem.
The Secrets Of Sleep
Ignoring Rational And Practicing Intuition
Develop Your Imagination
The Power Of Intuition